By Gabriela García, ICADS Spanish Coordinator
- Learn a new word in the dictionary every day; write it down; use it at least three times during the day and review it again the next day before learning a new one.
- Listen to music in Spanish; start with romantic songs first, because they’re slower; little by little listen to other faster rhythms and to songs from other countries in order to listen to new accents.
- Read the news every day to discuss important national topics with friends and your local family. If you enjoy literature, read poetry first, children’s stories, normal stories and then novels. Don’t hurry; reaching the goal is what matters.
- Watch movies initially with subtitles and gradually eliminate them. At the end, try to explain in Spanish what the movie is about, describe the characters, etc.
- Keep a journal in Spanish; even if it is in a simple form, write down something every day, practice your vocabulary, make clear and complete sentences to build paragraphs, use connectors, etc.
- Make a native friend or find someone who speaks the language better than you do to practice a little every day. Find someone who can me a model and better yet if he/she can correct you.
- Write verbs and vocabulary in cards and carry them with you at all times in order to review them whenever you have a chance.
- Speak in Spanish everywhere and always; don’t stop practicing. Practice, practice and more practice! You have to jump into the pool to learn how to swim; there’s no other way!
- Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. You will definitively make mistakes as anyone who is learning a language does. It’s perfectly normal and you must continue learning from your mistakes in order not to repeat them. Don’t try to hide your mistakes; they’re indications of what you need to improve and reinforce.
- Establish specific goals, such as explaining your daily routine in a clear way or describing the kitchen in your house or at work in detail. And celebrate your achievements!
Contact us for more: http://icads.org/contact/
Share this Post