Nowadays it is very common to hear about living in harmony with nature, and each time, more and more people want to change their habits in order to reduce their impact on our limited resources. However, how do we start? Today we bring you some easy tips to begin an ecofriendly lifestyle.
1. Reduce the use of plastic products
Plastic is a very cheap material. As a result, we can find almost everything made of plastic. According to Ocean Conservancy, in 2011 there were found enough plastic straws to use one every day for the next 1250 years. But don’t panic! Now you have several alternatives to reduce your plastic consumption. Here you have some!
- Choose a glass or stainless steel bottle.
- Carry your own reusable bag.
- Eliminate the use of straws.
- Carry your own spoon, fork and knife.
- Carry your own reusable coffee cup.
2. Try to be an informed consumer
When we are informed consumers, we help nature a lot. Why? Because we understand its cycles, and we get used to the products nature can give us right now. So, how can we become informed consumers?
- Learn about seasonal products and buy them.
- Learn about which species of fish, for example, are in danger of extinction and avoid buying them.
- Visit your local farmer’s market.
3. Save energy
With very simple actions, you can save energy. Help the environment and your budget!
- Unplug devices when you’re not using them.
- Replace incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs. According to Rethink Recycling, LED bulbs are up to 80% more efficient.
- Turn off lights every time you leave a room.
- Reduce your shower time. You will save water too
4. Change your eating habits
Sometimes we have no time to prepare our food, so it’s easier to buy something to eat. However, packaged food produces a lot of waste, and it is not as healthy as homemade food. If you make a tiny effort to change your eating habits, you will help the environment but also your health! Here you have some tips:
- Take time to prepare your meals. If you put them in a mason jar in the fridge, they can last a week.
- Reduce your junk food consumption.
- If you have to buy your food, carry your own containers.
These tips are great to start. If you want to learn more about this, check http://www.zerowastenerd.com/ it was a good source of information for us!